free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Sunday 17 July 2016

B is for BELIEVE

Welcome to Round 19 at ABC Wednesday!  We are bestowing praise on the letter B this week - B as in bananas, belly, ball, brainstorm, beckon, boats, breathe, badge, and belfry.

I think most of you know that I reside in the Greater Vancouver area in British Columbia, the 3rd largest city in Canada with a population of around 3 million.  Some experts predict Vancouver will be Canada's largest city by 2040 with a population of over 10 million.  I can see it is well on its way, but with housing prices currently rising to unbelievable amounts, the Greater Vancouver area will probably expand as younger people move out into the suburbs and beyond.

I've done a bit of traveling in my time and I love everywhere I go.  But when I'm flying in over the city, I sometimes can't believe I live in such a beautiful place!  I actually live in a small village (which is growing as I write this) close enough to the city if I want or need to drive in, yet far enough away that it feels like the country. I thought I'd share with you a few recent shots of this beatific area this week simply because so many people do not believe that we have such great weather here.  Yes, it rains in the winter but it's more like a drizzle than a downpour!

A friend and I went to Granville Island, an area on the water just before you get to the downtown area of the city and almost right under the Burrard Bridge.  Granted it was a beautiful day but this was April and we didn't need jackets at all.
This is the view from our patio table at the famous restaurant Bridges.  They have been known for their bright yellow exterior and the bright yellow patio umbrellas.  However, we were disappointed to see that they've changed their umbrellas to a dull navy blue.  So we complained to the server and told him it looked like any other restaurant - maybe even Earl's (another popular eatery).  He said he'd take it to one of the owners because we felt the yellow umbrellas had been iconic.  Everyone says that Bridges is where the bright yellow umbrellas are!

Anyway, right beside Bridges you can rent boats at the dock here or go on boat cruises around the harbour area.


While we were eating, a pirate ship came by with a boat load of children and caregivers! The pirates waved madly while the children each held a giant hose and sprayed the water as they passed by.


Lots of people moor their boats in this harbour, and there are bounteous numbers of sailboats.  Also as we were eating, one of the Vancouver Police boats came by and they gave us a wave.

 
You will see lots and lots of birds around here, too, especially Canada geese and sea gulls.  They are practically tame and will take food from your hands. Both these birds were really working the crowds.
Finally, there are water buses that we call "aquabuses" that will take you across the water or down the way to another destination.  They're really fun to ride in and the driver will give you a rundown of what you're passing.  They will take you across to downtown or all the way to Science World!

And YES, believe it - we have palm trees here!  This particular shot is down at English Bay Beach, and I love the tree on top of the condo building in the background!  We're able to grow hardy palms here because we're in a little area that is surrounded by water and mountains that gets a very temperate climate!
Hope you've enjoyed a little bit of Vancouver and can see now and believe that not all of Canada is snowbound! 

Have a great week and think of bright and blessed me burning up the roads and trains over in England and Wales right now.  That's why you haven't "seen" me around lately, but I'll be back next week with blow by blow descriptions of my time there plus boundless stories and photos to show you all.





12 comments:

  1. The joy you have in the BEAUTY of your homeland is BELIEVEABLE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totaly can imagine that you are proud of the area you live in. I don't know if I'll ever travel there but maybe someday, who knows..

    I hope you have the greatest time right now during your travel to my continent.. looking forward to your photo's ofcourse.

    The B's are numerous as I hope your fun- & happy-moments will be too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great collection of B's for the introduction this week, Leslie. Love all these photos. I'll be back tomorrow. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year. I visited Vancouver on a business related trip. I was in downtown and got to see only a little of the city. But what I saw I liked very much. Planned to a more thorough exploration some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful place you live ~ similar to Cape Ann MA yet different ~ Lovely photography!

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen a LOT of gulls this week, especially off Lake Erie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful and Brilliant! Thank you Leslie:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant!
    My "B" stand for BOATS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful shots!
    My entry is for the colour BLUE, my favourite...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your neck of the woods is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't have a "B" photo today but would like to invite you to join at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/07/world-war-ii-memorial-washington-dc.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm looking for more boundless stories and pictures.

    ReplyDelete