free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 23 January 2017

C is for Continuation of ABC Wednesday

As many of you know, Denise Nesbitt, the doyenne of this meme, started ABC Wednesday nearly ten years ago. She was doing it all herself early on, then assembling a team to help her. I (Roger) found my way here in the middle of Round 5 (K is for Keating Five), and joining the team a few months later.

A couple years after that, Mrs. Nesbitt had tired of being the administrator, and she asked me to take over, and I did, with Round 11, ably assisted by Leslie from VanCan. But I too was feeling burnt out even a year ago, and Leslie didn't want to take it over either. So we decided to end the thing with Round 20, a nice even number representing a decade of the meme.

But then, one of the team members, Melody, indicated that MAYBE she wanted to take it over. Then, a few days later, she decided she DEFINITELY wanted to do it.
For all sorts of reasons, I had required a new URL for Round 21, since it has Mrs. Nesbitt's name attached, and I didn't feel it was my place to pass it on to a third party, as Denise had directly passed it to me.

Moreover, I've been reading the futurists' literature on technology - I'm a librarian, after all - and I was/am concerned by the possibility that Blogger/Blogspot will not be supported past 2017. Not did I require a new address for ABC Wednesday, but highly suggested that it be on a WordPress platform.

As it turns out, Melody is much more comfortable with WordPress. The new URL will be http://abcwednesday.wordpress.com and it will start around July 12.

And Melody has gotten her own Linky device so that you can contribute to ABC Wednesday each week; Mrs. Nesbitt, then I, were paying for the previous one.

In return, I said we would mention the change in some of the intros for Round 20, notably this one here, and when the Mrs Nesbitt ABC W blog stops, there would be a pointer to the new blog.

Some of the team will remain - I will, for sure, at least for a while - and she has recruited a couple newbies, Vonnie and Daphne. And I don't have to be in charge, which will be good for me.

So ABC Wednesday WILL live on, as it turns out. Tell all your blogging buddies!

***








30 comments:

  1. That's great news Roger. I joined late - have done the last 3 years I think and really enjoy the challenge.Is more help required?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, now but especially in the future

      Delete
    2. We would very much like to welcome you as a teammember ;-)

      Delete
    3. Let me know what to do, what are the expectations, needs etc.

      Delete
  2. Its an amazing work that all of you are doing. ABC Wednesday is a part of my life now. It was heartbreaking to think that it as ending. The new season brought a smile on my face. Thank you for all this amazing ideas that you guys came up with

    There is a "Letter Writing Challenge" starting on 30th of January. it would be amazing if you could participate in it.
    Here is the link for the challenge
    http://mrsdashsayss.blogspot.in/2017/01/12-weeks-of-letter-writing-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your link to that new challenge seems to be not working ....

      Delete
  3. I'm looking forward to the continuation and changing nature of ABCW! Time to shake things up a bit and see what we can do.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and right you are..... lets go for it ;-)

      Delete
  4. Many thanks to all of you who have worked to keep ABC Wednesday running smoothly all these years and to Melody who will now carry the torch.
    Roger, I'm sorry to hear there is a "possibility that Blogger/Blogspot will not be supported past 2017." Oi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina - it doesn't mean that Blogspot would necessarily go away, but like any other unsupported software, will eventually become very buggy, with no fix.

      Delete
    2. Lets hope Blogger will stay working and fixed with updates when necessary ... but when not, if you want to change to wordpress and need help... you know where to find me. Its far less difficult then it seems on first glance

      Thank you Dina. with the help of Roger, Leslie and others we will do our very best.

      Delete
    3. OK. Thanks, Roger and Melody.

      Delete
    4. you are welcome, always ;-)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful news about ABC Wednesday! Ugh on the Blogger news. I've been looking for a challenge. Learning wordpress may just be it. :-) Thank you very much, Roger, for being the administrator all these years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was informed already it's nice to continue ! I think I started just after Mrs. Nesbitt had done a few posts. I don't know what it is about Blogger, but it certainly won't disappear because it belongs to Gooogle, and exists since 1999, and Wordpress only since 2003. I have been with Wordpress in 2006 and switched over to Blogger because it was so complicated, lol !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such good news, a wonderful group of people that have all worked so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to see this continuation happening from Blogger to WP. I have found WP to be a much better platform, since I switched a little more than a year ago. Thanks for all the work ABC team puts into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is great news, Roger. Melody, you're one COOL CAT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Clapping for Melody...
    My "C" is for CANBERRA CREATIVE CONSTRUCTION

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) thank you so much... but please also for the others, without them I can want so much but do much less

      Delete
  11. Thank you for hosting ABC Wednesday and I'm happy it's gonna be continued. I joined ABC Wednesday only a few weeks ago, but I really enjoy it. :):):)

    ReplyDelete
  12. And my C is for church in autumn scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am glad this group is continuing in one platform or another, but same-ish fun group. Thanks to all who organized, are organizing, and will continue organizing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great news and thank you Melody! I'll be back next week for D...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Ellen, great! looking forward to it.

      Delete