free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 23 April 2012

O is for...

Map of Canada, ONTARIO is yellow.

ONTARIO!

OKIE dokie, This week we are celebrating O, which is perfectly OKAY with me as this is the perfect OCCASION to tell you all a little bit about my home province, ONTARIO. (Click on the above map if you want to see it better.)

ONTARIO is a big place, covering more than a million square kilometres (that's 415,000 square miles), which is more than the area of Spain and France combined. Approximately one-third of all Canadians live in the the southern quarter of ONTARIO, which includes Canada's largest city (Toronto) and Canada's capital (Ottawa). ONTARIO'S north is sparsely populated.



Ontario, I live in the grey area north of Toronto

Although ONTARIO is quite a distance away from either the Atlantic or Pacific OCEANS. it's still a watery place. See those five huge lakes, the Great Lakes? They are big enough to be inland, fresh-water seas. Lake ONTARIO is the smallest of the Great Lakes, and it is still very large.

With all that water (and thousands of smaller lakes besides), ONTARIO tends to be a humid place. Most of our weather crosses water before it reaches us, picking up moisture as it comes. From the north it crosses Hudson Bay, and from the west and south, the Great Lakes. That usually means lots of snow in winter,  rain in summer, and many cloudy skies year round. Oh how I enjoy a clear blue sky when we have one! But cloudy skies do create beautiful sunsets, and I do love those too.

Well, there you have it - a mini geography lesson about ONTARIO. I look forward to reading your entries about the letter O.

EG CameraGirl

32 comments:

  1. It's a great idea to add a map to your post. Sometimes it's difficult to find out where bpeople live. I always do this when I write about the Netherlands. Thanks for this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you may recall, I was was in Toronto and Peterborough last summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lived in Ottawa for 3 years back in the late 80's and I couldn't believe the humidity when I arrived! We promptly had air conditioning installed in our new house and from then on, we were fine. We enjoyed many trips around the province, especially to the St Lawrence River area and the country areas around Ottawa. We also enjoyed skating on the Rideau Canal and travelling into Quebec in the fall to see their gorgeous autum colours. I never did make it to Toronto, though! Great post to highlight part of OUR country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home sweet home!! Thanks for 'putting us on the map'. Altogether now "good things gro o ow, in Ontario!"
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://rinklyrimes.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/odious-ogress.html

    Expected Mr Linky! But I get confused by all the different lay-outs! Anyway, I hope I appear somewhere! Lucky for you that both Ontario and Ottawa start with O!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linky is present, but it won't be time to post until 4 pm UK time Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not many of your blogger friends can bpast that they have been to Ontario. I proudly say,Yes, I have been.

    http://ann-mythoughtsandphotos.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/abc-wednesday-o-for-overseas.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post for O day. Ontario sounds outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I have seen Lake Ontario when hubby and I went to Ohio at Cedar Point or it could be Lake Eerie? Great post here thanks for sharing and here is my link ^_^


    Kim, USA

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kim - from Ohio, you would have seen Lake Erie. Lake Ontario is further east, near New York State. On the other side of Lake Erie (and Lake Ontario) is the province of Ontario!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Onward and outbound to Ontario!!! With a detour to all these wonderful O links.... Have a great week everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wishing that someday I could visit Ontario!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny, I never thought that Ontario would be humid even though there is a large body of water there! Which also means that when the temperatures dip, it is bone chilling cold. Brrrr...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for this. I enjoyed learning more about Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the info - like the map = thanks for sharing - Ontario makes for a good O post - have a good week - Jane UK

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello.
    I love Canada. I always say if I wasn't living here in the US, the only other places I would consider living in would be Canada or the UK. Thanks for sharing.
    Have a great week everyone and remember to Open The Curtains Of Your Heart and let love in...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes I do believe Ontario is Outstanding

    PhenoMenon

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh, so many lakes in your area :) must be a nice place!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My sister is in Ottawa and we visited in February. There were wonderful blue skies at that time and we saw a Cardinal. That was a thrill for me, but there were so many amazing sights and thrilling moments. Our visits to The War Museum, Hog's Back, and Mud Lake were spectacular. Other highlights? The Rideau Canal ice sculptures at night, and meeting my beautiful new great-nephew for the first time were right up there. Now to see the rest of Ontario :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such an interesting post!! Thank you for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lived for a total of 8 years in Toronto in the sixties. Both our boys were born there. One summer we took hwy 11 (Yonge St.) all the way north to Thunder Bay. Great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, Ontario-on one of my places to visit lists!

    ReplyDelete
  23. A great mini geography lesson. I would love to visit, but only if you can turn on the sun occasionally!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Here's how it looked in 1967!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh6CoUau-ac
    "A place to stand, a place to grow, Ontari-ari-ari-o!"

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can see Lake Ontario from our upstairs window, but of course I can not see clear tot he other side, because no matter if it is the smallest of the Great Lakes, it is still great. Here in NY we have the town of Ontario (on my west), a county called Ontario (which doesn't touch the lake), and plenty of businesses who also claim the name. Isn't it nice to share?

    PS. My husband's aunt also lives north of Toronto, about 2 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hello from down East!! (I'm from NS) This is definitely an Outstanding entry! :) Ontario is a beautiful province for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great info about Ontario - didn't realize it has 1/3 of Canada's population.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I’ve read several good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting.
    I surprise how a lot effort you

    place to make such a magnificent informative site.
    Also visit my homepage dalitnetwork.org

    ReplyDelete