free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 11 November 2013

Introduction of R

The R of Rotterdam where I was born. I learned Reading in the Remote colony of Indonesia. I Remember the Revelation of new worlds created by my books. I loved " Rupert the Bear" and Read the books about him when I was ill. I was almost sorry that I Recovered .
After a couple of peaceful years the war broke out. We lost everything and went to a concentration camp. In August '45 we could leave the camp and go to Surabaya. We were Rescued by the British and taken to Singapore. From Singapore we were Removed to Europe and Repatriated to Rotterdam, which lay in Ruins. We felt no Resentment and the Rotterdammers started to Rebuild the City.
On Remembrance Day we Remind the free world that Resistance to a barbarian Regime is always Required.
There were 70,000 brave Germans and Austrians, who  fled their country to Britain in order to fight alongside the British against the Nazis. They were called the "Friendly Enemy Aliens".

This building is called "The White House ", and was left undamaged, when the city was bombed by Nazi Germany.

 






















With thanks to Denise Nesbitt,  who created ABC, and Roger, who took over from her. For more interesting ABC posts click on the logo in the sidebar. This week we are looking for words beginning with R

***






20 comments:

  1. Love the historical bits of this introduction. And I learned how Rotterdam residents are called - 'Rotterdammers,' a new (to me) word. Thanks.

    Hazel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Hazel! Yea, my parents were real Rotterdammers. But though I was born there I didn't live there. I don't know what I am.;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of "friendly enemy agents." I'm sure there were many many Germans who did not condone what their government was doing and were helpless in the face of it all. I have German friends whose parents actually escaped via Russia and were finally able to make new lives elsewhere. In Canada, we honour "Remembrance Day" and we remember not only the armed forces but also the entire situations of the wars. Some day it must all stop so we as a world community can live in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Leslie. I heard speaking about the Friendly Enemy Aliens" on the BBC. I looked it up with Google and it says:

    "In law, an enemy alien is a citizen of a country which is in a state of conflict with the land in which he or she is located."

    So it was also new to me until last week

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Australia we R emember the fallen by stopping for a minute's silence at 11 am on the 11th of the eleventh month. Nice use of the letter R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most informative! So much you have gone through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have an amazing personal history and a first-hand knowledge of evil in the world. Thank you for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting. You have had a remarkable childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fascinating post. What a life you've led.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a story. I'm glad the white house --and you-- were spared.
    I didn't know there were so many "friendly enemy aliens" fighting in the war.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was Really wonderful. You've had an amazing life. Rotterdammers.. I like the sound of that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. I love the way you have told the story. Informative in a gentle way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My goodness, one can never know the circumstances that others have had to endure. Thank you for sharing what could have made you bitter, yet you prove that each of us is more than the sum of events with which we've dealt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing this piece of history with us. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting bit of history retold brilliantly using so many "R" words! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great remembrance picture and post. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the photos and info. I would love to visit there some day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My dear Wil, you always have such wonderful information, and I had no idea so many Germans and Austrians fled to England to support the Allies. I want to cry when I think of you in a concentration camp, because you are such a sweet and gentle soul, but it is obvious you came through with your heart and soul intact.
    Love, K

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes that the white House looks familiar to me! Have to say, I like your current place of residence better than Rotterdam. Except for the shopping center at Zuidplein. Love to eat at La Place:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Roger...to have been in Rotterdam during the war! I am happy that you and your family came through ok. I very much enjoyed reading your post! Forgive me for being absent so much of late!

    ReplyDelete