free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Tuesday 19 November 2013

S is for SENSELESS

November 22, 1963, Dallas, Texas, United States
John F. Kennedy, Assassinated
Some of you will remember this day of infamy.  Some of you had not been born yet, but most likely will have learned of this horrific incident in History class.  This year marks the 50th anniversary and I can remember the day as though it were yesterday.  I was home from high school sick in bed when my mother rushed in and told me to "Get up! President Kennedy's been assassinated!"  Even though we're Canadians, we both knew the significance and possible ramifications it could have on our own country, let alone on the United States of America.  There is no point in going into the details of the event or the consequences since we're all aware of them.  Suffice to say that we should remember him and his family and what he did for his country and beyond.  
Some of JFK's famous quotes:

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country."
"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and success of liberty."
"Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind."
"Let us not seek the Republican or the Democratic answer, but the right answer.  Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past.  Let us accept our own responsibility for the future."
"Our most basic common link is that we all inhabit this planet. We all breathe the same air.  We all cherish our children's future. And we are all mortal." 
November 11th is called "Remembrance Day" in Canada and "Veterans Day" in the USA.  Perhaps November 22nd should be called something other than the day Kennedy died.  Your thoughts?
It just might behoove the current leaders of the world's nations to stop and remember not only John F. Kennedy's assassination, but also to recall his perceptive and discerning wisdom.  Remembrance Day (Canada) and Veterans Day (USA) was November 11th when we stopped to remember our fallen warriors.  Perhaps November 23rd should be called something other than the day Kennedy died.Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/john_f_kennedy.html#3mQoSMqJmqzs8CCg.99
***




15 comments:

  1. You chose some excellent quotes that are so relevant to our world today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 years.... I post about this too and how in order to understand the impact of this tragedy, we need to look at Sixtie's culture too.

    As always, thanks for hosting, for visiting and for all the hard work you and the ABCWednesday team put in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well Senselessness is Shocking Sometimes.

    http://throodalookingglass.com/2013/11/smart-phones-not-so-smart/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fifty years ago I got married. I was cleaning my brandnew furniture when I heard the news on the radio. My husband was still at work. We had no phone so I couldn't ring him. It was an enormous shock for us. We had no T.V. set either, but somehow we were able to see the latest news with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in first grade and remember it clearly. It was such a senseless horrific event.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was taking college courses in the morning and working in the family printing shop in the afternoon. When a neighbour came to the shop to tell us JFK had been killed, I was so horrified, I just sat down behind the big press and cried.
    A week earlier, I had dreamt that everyone in the world was crying. When I woke up, the feeling was so strong, I told my mother, "I think Winston Churchill is going to die soon" and told her about my dream, and still remembered it on November 22. I'd certainly never thought a young man like John F. Kennedy would be the one to die.
    I agree with you, Leslie, there ought to be a different way to say "The day Kennedy died." Maybe something simple like "JFK Day."
    Another Canadian heard from—
    K

    ReplyDelete
  8. But today Caroline Kennedy, 55, presented her credentials to the Emperor of Japan. The USA's first female ambassador to Japan.
    I remember how she played under the presidential desk in the White House.
    Video and photos here: http://www.voanews.com/content/incoming-ambassador-caroline-kennedy-meets-japans-emperor/1792994.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kennedy was one smart cookie about our country and what was needed, but his personal life...not so much. I wish our present-day president had some quotes worth remembering like Kennedy's are. I think anyone who was was of the age of understanding can still 5 decades later tell where they were when that ghastly announcement came.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was in school. I remember some of the children crying when our teacher told us what had happened.
    There's a lot on TV about it now at this 50 year anniversary, but I feel too sad to watch it.
    Looking back we can see how our country went in a different direction after that day.
    Lea
    Mississippi, USA

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in Brussels in a supermarket with my mother when suddenly the loudspeakers told us what happened. I remember that there was suddenly a silence and then all people talking together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't believe we've had as many inspirational presidents in the USA since JFK. Thank you for sharing such marvelous quotes with us this week. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was in grade 2 at the time, home sick from school too that Friday. And yes, even though we lived in Canada, it had a big impact on people. My dad came home from work at noon and said there were people downtown crying in the streets. I remember that day so well.

    glad to find your site, I'll be back to participate soon too. Adding you to my blogroll now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is really important to me. This was the first poem I was really proud of, the first to get acclaim from someone others than family and friends. And then I lost the poem. I searched endlessly but finally gave in and considered it lost. Three months ago my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma. Right before he passed, these words came to me. They aren't exactly the same, and I wouldn't venture as to which was better. What I really got from the experience is that things we think are forever lost always live inside.

    ReplyDelete