free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 15 August 2016

F-stands for February.

FEBRUARY. by Helen Hunt Jackson.

Still lie the sheltering snow

And reign the Winter's pregnant silence still;

No sign of spring, save the catkin's fill,

 And willow stems grow daily red and white


 These are the days when ancients held a rite,

 of expiation for the old year's ill.

 And prayer to purify the new year's will : 


Fit days, ere yet the bounding blood grows hot with haste,

 And dreaming thoughts grow heavy with haste,

 The ardent summer's joy to have and taste;


 Fit days, to give to last years losses held,

 To reckon clear the new life's sterner need;

Fit days for Feast of Expiation placed.

   

I do hope that you enjoyed reading this Fetching  sonnet written by Helen.H. Jackson it comes from her 'A Calander of Sonnets'..... a collection of  poems relating, mainly to the months in the year and the changing seasons thereon.

I believe she is more widely known for 'A Century of Dishonour', which described the adverse effects of Government treatment,  and mistreatment of Native Americans.
She was a very Feisty lady and a keen activist in fighting for better treatment of the Native Americans, she wasn't afraid to take on corrupt politicians and Frequently spoke loudly and clearly for her cause.

 Sincere thanks to the Fabulous Denise Nesbitt for bringing us all so much Fun when she First devised ABCW, also to the Frightfully Factual Roger for all he does ably assisted by the Fearless Leslie from Vancouver BC. Finally we mustn't Forget the team of helpers who fervently help with visiting and commenting on other sites. That's it FOLKS ! I'm just about Finished.

Di,x
abcw team.

 



***





18 comments:

  1. I hadn't heard from here so thank you for the intriduction!
    Lovelye sonnets indeed...Not a monthe I dislike except for the hazardhous streets when there is frozen snow etc on it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have good reason to like FEBRUARY as it is the month in which
      I was born and, would you believe it was snowing.....Also Guess what?
      I love the snow ! I agree with you though, in not liking the hazards
      it causes on the streets etc.
      best wishes,
      Di,
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  2. A masterful introduction for the letter F! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen,
      Your kind words are most appreciated.
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous! Fantastic!! Thank you Di:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amit,
      I am FERVENTLY FLATTERED,
      Best wishes,
      Di.
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  5. You are a fantastic formidable friend, with the best posts of all of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Wil,
      What a kind thing to say, I must say, quite FRANKLY, I FELT
      a lump in my throat.
      I am so happy to have made so many FRIENDS on ABCW and look FORWARD
      to reading everybodys' contributions....such FUN !
      Best wishes my FRIEND,
      love Di.xx
      ABCW team.

      Delete
  6. Fun foreword!
    My "F" stands for FITZROY Gardens in Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And "F" is for FRANCE and FOLIES Bergére

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! Thanks for hosting.
    In my entry, "F" is for FISKARDO, in Cephalonia, Greece

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this poem! I'm not a Fan of winter, even though I was born in the month of February.

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://bestwesternatmiddleeast.blogspot.com/2016/08/abc-wednesday-ford-car.html

    amazing one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Di, this is the first thing I've ever read by Ms. Jackson. Fetching, it is. In California, she's well known as the author of "Ramona", a novel I keep saying I ought to read. Maybe it's time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quite a nice poem. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My entry for F - https://beautyishisfootprint.wordpress.com/2016/08/12/of-knots-and-freedom/

      Delete
  13. I have some freezing weather in mine also.

    ReplyDelete