free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 8 August 2016

E is for Entrepreneur

The New York Small Business Development Center helps businesses at all phases of their operation. There are SBDC programs in every state in the US and the District of Columbia, plus Puerto Rico, Guam, and other outlining areas. It is funded as partnership between the US Small Business Administration and the host institution, usually a college or university.

I have been a business librarian for nearly 24 years. I'm one of four professionals who help our New York SBDC business advisers assist the clients who come in to receive professional, free, and confidential advisement.

While the businesses can be at any stage, from expansion to retirement, probably a majority of SBDC clients are entrepreneurs. The Wikipedia defines entrepreneurship as "the process of designing, launching and running a new business, which typically begins as a small business, such as a startup company, offering a product, process or service for sale or hire."

I've only recently learned that the SBDC out of the University of Texas in San Antonio has been involved in helping other countries to ascertain whether to use the model the SBDC program in their lands.

There is a magazine called Entrepreneur, which may be useful for someone starting or expanding an enterprise.






7 comments:

  1. ;-) Something I know nothing about... I even can't think of what it means to be a 'businesses librarian' ;-)
    I understand the meaning of the word which you've chosen to write about though, but its not my 'cup of tea'

    ReplyDelete
  2. I consulted with a local SBDC representative when I started an art & design business out of my home. She was very helpful in helping me navigate all the legal issues. My business was growing, and didn't do too bad during the year I was working on it full time. However, with my girls getting ready to go off to college, I needed some regular income. That's why I went back into the classroom. I still do some commission pieces on the side, and hope to go back to it full time when I retire. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know about SBDC..never knew of anything like a business librarian! Thank you Roger:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Entertaining and edifying intro!
    My "E" is for the island of EUBOEA in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting!
    My post is "E" for EREIKOUSSA in Greece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Entrepreneur—love that word and the concept. Where would we be without them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great word for E!
    Proud to be an entrepreneur :)

    ReplyDelete