free counters We welcome newcomers!

Remember: if you participate with us, please link to and mention us in your post.

Monday 3 July 2017

Z is for Zero Hour


So this is the ZERO HOUR, the last post I will be making at this Internet address. But fret not: when Melody takes over ABC Wednesday at https://abcwednesday.com/ starting the week of July 10, 2017, I'll be visiting folks there. Heck, I've already written my A through G posts, except E.

I'll even be on HER team, so who knows? Maybe I'll write an intro there someday.

Did you ever misremember something? In telling the story of my participation with ABC Wednesday under the tutelage of Denise Nesbitt, I wrote that I started in Round 5 with the letter K. But if ABC Wednesday started in July 2007, and my first post was October 1, 2008, that means it was actually Round 3 .

The URL for that iteration of the blog disappeared, except through the Wayback Machine.

Wow, I've been at this a long time.

And I no longer want to guess when I joined the team. But it was before my mother died on 2 February 2011. I had traveled from Albany, NY to Charlotte, NC after my mother suffered a stroke. Because I figured I'd have no way to write blog posts, I wrote a few before I left, including one about my, at the time of writing, anticipated train trip.

Shortly after my sisters and I came home from the hospital, I read an email from Mrs. Nesbitt, to which I had briefly replied that Mom had died. If you read the comments on the post, it became clear that Mrs. Nesbitt had notified people that my mom was sick - I did no visiting of the blogs that week - and then notified folks again upon the news of Mom's passing.

If I ever have the need to cry, all I need to do is read the sweet comments from this post from about 2:12 p.m. on. And when I got home in Albany a week later, there were fresh flowers on my doorstep from Mrs. Nesbitt.

So when she asked me to take over ABC Wednesday in July 2012, I said yes. And I have visited every post over the past five years and attempted to leave a comment; if I didn't, it was because of I could not for reasons idiosyncratic to the blog I was visiting.

And now, after five years, I'm handing it off to Melody, at a new address - note the change in the URL - but operating at the same time of the week, and with the same alphabetical principles.

Since I may have some interest in music, I thought I'd end with:

Au Revoir But Not Goodbye - Al Bowlly with Ronnie Munro & his Orchestra, recorded October 5th 1939 in London

Lyrics by Joseph George Gilbert

With joy, we'll dream away each sorrow,
With love we'll live for each tomorrow;
So let's part, just you and I
With au revoir but not goodbye.

And Happy Independence Day in the US, and a belated Canada Day sesquicentennial! (I LOVE the word sesquicentennial...)










11 comments:

  1. Wonderful intro Roger to close this last round with!!

    I am gratefull that you will have my back in the new home of ABC !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome goodbye Roger! I just couldn't say the word so opted just to continue with emphasis on abcw's continuation with Melody at the helm. BY the way, my first post was round 2 letter B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you to you folks who started ABC Wednesday, kept it going all these years, and will soon continue it, on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have become such a household name on my blog Roger - most often with a clever or witty comment,that I hope you don't become a stranger, and this is not a "goodbye"! Thank you for hosting ABC for all this time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Roger and team for all your work with ABC Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great last post, Roger. But not really last as like the Phoenix, ABC Wednesday will be reborn at its new site.
    My "Z" stands for ZOO, this week and for the Zth of my Zoologic poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And another "Z" for ZEBRAS in ZAMBIA
    Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zounds! Zed already?
    "Z" for ZION.

    ReplyDelete